1946 Tapadibi, church) is further S. The
Hellenistic city of
Armavir, capital of the Orontid dynasty from the 4th-2nd
c BC, was centered on the taller, steeper volcanic hill about 2
km further E. Easiest
approach is, from modern Armavir, crossing the
is the village of Armavir
(till 1935 Ghrdghuli/Kurdu-Kuli), with S. Astvatsatsin church,
find spot of cuneiform inscriptions of Urartian King Sarduri.
jogging left and (after 100 m) right toward Haikavan (signposted
“Margara”). About 300
m after the road bears left, a right turn will take you to the S
side of the hill. Though
Armavir was replaced as capital first by Ervandashat and then by
Dvin, it maintained substantial habitation through the Medieval
period, judging from the glazed pottery fragments still to be
found. There is a
substantial temple platform on the summit, and extensive house
walls on the W side. Somewhere
on the S slope outside the wall, 7 inscriptions in ancient Greek
were carved into two rock faces about 12 meters apart, a
reminder of Hellenistic influence on the Orontid kings.
These inscriptions, probably carved around 200 BC,
include a snatch of poetry regarding the Archaic Greek poet
Hesiod, a pastiche of lines from Euripides, a list of Macedonian
months, and some fragmentary letter texts.
At the base of the hill is a small, modern cave-shrine
marked by an iron cross.