The road S
from the village of Armavir
leads to Janfida (its
Sardarapat, pass underneath
the overpass from city of Armavir and immediately turn right and
back up and over the railroad lines.
The road will jog right, then left, passing through the
village of Norapat
(since 1967 part of Hoktemberian/ Armavir) and become
the wide main
leading straight to Sardarapat
battle monument and museum.
First village is
(till 1935 Sardarapat, church).
Turning right on the paved road in the village (W toward
the village of Dzerzhinski), somewhere on the right before the
cemetery is the site of the important Persian fortress of
This was built around 1810 with British technical
assistance by Sardar Hosein Qoli Khan, last and best of the
Persian governors of the Erevan Khanate, using stones taken from
the ruins of ancient Armavir, some still bearing traces of
Used as administrative center for the Sardarapat district
and summer residence of the Khan of Erevan, the fortress was
taken by the Russians under General Paskevich in 1828, despite
stout defense by Khan Hasan, Hoseinís brother.
Almost no trace of the fortress is left, this remnant of
foreign rule having been dismantled to build Soviet Armenia.