the town of Lenughi,
till 1946 Aghlanli Nerkin or Yasakhli, with S. Nshan church from
on the Sardarapat road, Araks
was founded in 1940 as a state farm.
Just beyond on a low ridge is the battle
monument of Sardarapat,
commemorating the Armenian defeat of an invading Turkish army,
The Turks, coming S down the
were pushed back, giving the wavering Armenian provisional
government the encouragement to declare the independent Republic
of Armenia on May 28, 1918.
The monument is guarded by massive Assyrian- style winged
lions, and is flanked by a memorial garden for Karabakh martyrs.
Bearing left before the monument, a driveway skirts the
monument ridge to reach a tourist pavilion (refreshments) and
the highly attractive Sardarapat
Director (at least of the military museum) is the head
(since the untimely 1999 death of Sergei Grigorevich Badalian)
of the Armenian Communist Party. The ground floor central hall
contains commemorative material from the battle.
Starting from the right, the lower galleries present
archaeological materials from Neolithic to Medieval, and
implements for various traditional handicrafts.
Upstairs are exhibits of carpets and embroidery, modern
Armenian decorative ceramics, and jewelry.