3.8 km past the turnoff is Arzakan
(formerly Arzakyand), with quarries and mineral springs.
It is mentioned as Artavazdakan in medieval sources.
3km NW is Neghutsi S. Astvatsatsin
Vank, church of 10th
c, gavit with 13th c. inscriptions.
Inhabitants came from
Next turnoff left from the Yerevan- Sevan main road leads to the town of
Soviet Armenia’s first spa town, founded in 1925.
Until the late 1980s, the village was predominantly Assyrian
Many of this minority emigrated, their houses taken over
refugees from Azerbaijan, and some
Maku in 1829.
Continuing on the left fork leads up a side gorge to a series
of pensionats, owned by the Interior Ministry and other worthy
The mineral springs are N of the village, in the gorge. Old coins
found in cleaning one of springs prove the mineral waters were used from
Treatment lasted 26 days for adults, 45 for children; Paleolithic
– 300- 100, 000 year old) stone tool open air workshops have been found
along the river near the spa.
Entering the village, the right paved fork leads to an unusual fine
small domed 6th c.
church built on a square platform.
An odd late antique capital and column base, and the mouldings of
the platform, suggest that the church was placed atop a pagan shrine.