to the Khndzorut River.
Turning right on the bumpy dirt road leads up the river
to a military post at a reservoir.
Reportedly, a bad jeep track
continues SW beyond the roadblock through walnut
to join the Krasnosyelsk road. Turning left toward Aigezdor,
one reaches the village of Chinari,
visible from which to the NE is Khoranashat
Vank of 1211-20, with a gavit
Because of occasional sniping incidents, it is advisable
to check with villagers before visiting the monastery (bear
right through the village, then follow the
drops right across the
Khndzorut to follow the Akhinja (or Hakhinja) tributary upstream
to a little picnic area with a 1986 monument to General Andranik
and the Fedayi.
The track presumably continues to Azerbaijan, not
recommended at this time.
Continuing NE along the Khndzorut, one reaches Aigedzor,
1939 Ghulali) has S.
Hripsime Church of the 5-6th c. in the village below
NE of the village atop the mountain named for Salkari
Vank is a 6-4th c. fortress.
There are also remains of Yereg Vank Berd medieval
fortress, also called Kzkalasi, a refuge during various medieval
Dr. Robert Bedrosian, the 13th century Kirakos Gandaketsi
studied here under one of Mkhitar Gosh's students, the historian
Yovhannes Vanakan (d. 1251). "When the Khwarazmian sultan
Jalal al-Din ravaged Xoranashat in 1225, Vanakan fled with his
students to a nearby cave, near the village of Lorut, south of
Tawush. He continued teaching there until 1236 when a Mongol
army under Molar-noyin occupied Tawush. Both Vanakan and Kirakos
were taken captive by the Mongols and kept as secretaries for
several months. Eventually, Vanakan was ransomed by the
Christians of Gag for eighty dahekans, and Kirakos escaped
secretly the same night.". In the vicinity of Chinari there
are reportedly shrines of the 13-17th c., and 1st
millenium BC graves.