The    name   “Ijevan”   means   “Inn,” reflecting the Tavush capital’s previous name of Karvansara (though also Istibulagh), stopping place on an important E-W road and also, since 1870, of the railroad. In the place called Hamam-Jala on the bank of the Aghstev are remains of a medieval caravansaray.  On   the  N  side   of   the main    road   at   the   W   end   of   town

   Crossing   the   Aghstev  river  by  the bridge on the W end of town, a right turn leads to Gandzakar (till 1978 Aghdan) with S. Gevorg church, a S. Kiraki chapel of 1286, Budur cyclopean fort E atop Budur mountain, with two 12-13th c. churches with khachkars in the forest nearby. To the W  of  upper  Gandzakar  is  the  ruined medieval Tanik fort. There is supposed


(cannon outside) is a small historical/ethnographic museum reopened in 1999, with a diorama commemorating the entry of the Red Army in 1920.  Ijevan has a large (dormant?) rug factory, and wood product factories. There is a 200-bed high-rise hotel built in 1969 on the N side of the main road.  In the SW part of town is a S. Hovhannes church. Chamber tombs near the city hospital and a Late Bronze Age cemetery on the left bank of river attest early occupation of the site.


to be a ruined “Ashot Yerkat” fort 6 km SW.  However, another source says the Ashot Yerkat fort is 7 km W of Ijevan. From Gandzakar the road winds up a narrow set of unpaved switchbacks toward Berd and the Shamsadin region.