Crossing  the  main  highway  bridge near Astarak, the first exit right leads to the village of Mughni, now inside the Ashtarak city limits but till the Russian conquest the southernmost village in the mahal of Aparan. Mughni kept its medieval name, along with the 14th c. Monastery of S. Gevorg, once a popular   pilgrimage     site     for    both

   Karbi, the next  village  N  along  the Kasakh gorge, has been known since the 13th century. Though ravaged and plundered repeatedly, several churches remain: S. Astvatsatsin basilica of 1691-93, the 11-13th c. S. Kiraki or S. Gevorg, Tsiranavor and Tukh Manuk, and the "Zargarents Zham" chapel.

Christians and Muslims. The church, with its distinctive striped drum below the conical cupola, was rebuilt in 1661-69 by order of the vardapet Yovhannes. It had an archbishop, a monk, five deacons, and one acolyte in 1830, supported by the revenues of Mughni village. In 1999 the church was undergoing major restoration.


"TAMARA-2000" cannery