Ohanavan     was     resettled     by migrants from Mush in 1828.  Perched on the Kasakh gorge rim, Hovhannavak is a major monument from the 7th c. and later, the best docummented of the major Armenian monasteries due to a manuscript of pious   history   compiled   in  1686  by the      Archdeacon        Zakaria.       The

   Ushi     was,    until       the     Russian conquest in 1828, the administrative center of the Mahal of  Sayyidli- Aksakhli, encompassing the mountain slopes inhabited by the Turkic tribes of those names.   Entering   the   village opposite the turn-off for Hovhannavank  and  taking  the   paved fork  right, one  bumps  W  past  a  small

monastery  was dedicated to John the Baptist, and has a 12th c. fortification wall with towers to the W, a 13th c. church and gavit (a rebuilding financed in part by Kurd Vachutian), and an early single-aisle church. The monastery has rich stone decoration, and many inscriptions.


10th c. church and reaches in about 1 km the badly ruined S. Sargis Vank and 7th c. shrine on a hill-side with a splendid view. Work is under way to lay clear the collapsed 13th c. church and adjacent gavit. The complex is surrounded by a fortification wall of 1654. There is an Iron Age fort atop the hill nearby.